August 27, 2008

Liz Guacamole

This is the guacamole I make all the time. It's simple and very easy and always makes people happy. It's genesis was pretty much trial and error which gives me lots of room for variation when its needed. Also, because I'm not big on measuring, all ingredients are added to taste.

With this recipe, I have noted that the guacamole always tastes better off my finger than it does off the chip, so make sure to taste it with a chip after you think you have everything right.


ingredients


the must haves:
  • ripe avocado (the more you use the more you get!)
  • onion (I prefer red for looks, but it's not necessary)
  • lime
  • salt
optional:
  • cumin
  • fresh parsley
  • tomato
  • hot peppers

Preparation:

cut the avocado in half and de-stone (if you're using a heavier knife you can whack it into the seed and twist to remove).



scoop the avocado (this one came from the backyard!) into a bowl big enough to hold all the ingredients and still have space to mix everything up. Next, mince the onion. I have found that I prefer the onion to be in very small pieces so the flavor gets nice and distributed. Add the onion to the bowl and cut the avocado up a bit.



Next, I add salt and fresh lime juice - I will not stand for lime juice out of anything other than a lime I cut open and squeeze - I think that is VERY important. Once these are added, I mic the guac up to the consistency I want - this can be done using a fork or spoon whichever you prefer, but when I'm making a big bowl I really enjoy squishing them up with my hands (after washing of course)!

I also chose this time to add the fresh parsley and a little bit of fresh hot pepper (I have no idea what kind it was because it came out of the garden!) for garnish as well.


Finished product!

and served with 2 tamales from my neighbor downstairs - YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment