April 27, 2011

Eggs on Toast

Sarah relayed to me one day that she had heard Nora Ephron say on a podcast something along the lines of, "Part of becoming an adult is letting go of the dream of either owning a restaurant or owning a bookstore." Sarah joked that becoming an organic farmer should also be on that list too.  "Boo," I thought, "I kinda want to do all of those things". 

Needless to say both Sarah and I have vague dreams of owning a business.  We've talked semi-seriously about opening a dine-in theater or moving away somewhere and opening a B&B.  It usually comes up during breakfast when we're munching on our favorite dish trying to figure out what we would serve people if we were tasked with making something.  Invariably there is always one solid stand-by that we would serve to anybody and always be proud of.  This thing is the Eggy Sandwich, or just simply Eggs on Toast.


This is perhaps the most simple thing.  An egg, fried or poached, on toasted bread with butter or cheese (or both!), and sometimes a few apple slices.  Nothing fancy, just really good.

The Eggy Sandwich is of course a staple of the fast food breakfast industry and along with burnt coffee has fueled the sad little morning fires of destitute office workers everywhere.  Though having it handed to you luke-warm, squashed, and wrapped in crinkly paper just makes you feel a little worse off once you get a good look at it.  Not a great way to start things off.

Instead, take five minutes and make it for yourself at home.  Toast, check.  Poached egg microwave style, check.  Slice of cheese, check.  An apple for the road, and we're done. 

How to Poach an Egg in the Microwave

I used to poach eggs in the microwave when I worked at the old Beckmann's Bakery coffee shop in Santa Cruz.  This is how it was done:

Crack and egg into a microwave safe bowl, pour in about 2 Tbs.of water.  If you like your egg whites more firm add about 1/2 tsp. of white vinegar as well.  Cover the bowl with a small microwave safe plate before putting it in the microwave.  Cook everything for about 60 seconds at 80% power.  Check the egg.  If it is not as done as you'd like it, microwave it at 80% power in 15 second intervals until it's finished.  Spoon the egg out of the water and enjoy.

I've noticed that the egg yolks end up overdone when the whites are well finished.  So to get the runny yolk like you're supposed to you'll have to have whites that are a bit more squishy than is ideal. 

4 comments:

  1. A pan isn't so much work! I'm happily microwave free for almost 2 years now. Looks tasty tho.

    Also, never give up dreams of owning a business. At the very least they are fun to have. Tho a B&B seems to make travel difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To tell the truth, I've never actually poached an egg in boiling water. I'm afraid I'll just make really bland egg drop soup, so I've never bothered. :/

    It's fun to think about owning a business, but I think Sarah and I would drive each other bonkers if it were our main source of income.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poaching an egg in boiling water is so easy! Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar in the water to avoid the whole egg soup thing. Simmer the water then add in the egg slowly from another cup, then cook until you are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a sparse sauerkraut nest under my eggs - the Farmhouse Culture smoked jalapeno is perfect.

    A water-poached egg is softer and more spreadable than one done in a cup - I use quite a lot of vinegar in my poaching bath, also salt, and mostly my eggs hold together beautifully. Perhaps something about our water requires more acid to be added? Oh, and I always slip the egg into the bath from a small bowl, rather than cracking it into the water. Mmm, thanks for the dinner suggestion.

    Stoked to have discovered your blog, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete