April 7, 2011

Spaetzle with Lentils and Spicy Tomato Sauce

My brother's wife Monika turned Sarah and I onto spaetzle when we visited them in Portland last year.  Spaetzle is a type of fresh pasta that you cook by spooning dollops into boiling water.  They're similar to gnocchi except that it's so much easier.  I've seen spaetzle makers that look a lot like potato ricers; I'm assuming they work well though I haven't tried this method yet.


The recipe we're using is one we found in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

Spaetzle with Lentils and Spicy Tomato Sauce

Cook the lentils in advance if you can.  Having a jar full off cooked lentils in the fridge makes and easy side or a good addition to a salad or pasta dish. Rinse the lentils thoroughly while watching for rocks, then cover with about an inch or two of water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Add a bay leaf.  Reduce the lentils to a simmer once they come to a boil and check them in about 30 minutes.  They should be soft but not squishy when done, add more water if necessary.  Add olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste and remove the bay leaf before serving.

Prepare the tomato sauce.  For this recipe we just used some of our pizza sauce from the freezer; great in a pinch.

For the Spaetzle:

2 cups Flour (all purpose or a mix)
~3/4 cup Milk, more if needed
3 Eggs
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
Pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well mixed.  Add more milk to make a smooth batter if necessary.  When the water is boiling spoon tablespoon sized dollops or smaller into the water.  Depending on your pot size you may be able to fit in six or seven at a time.  

The dumplings are nearly ready when they pop up from the bottom of the pan; once this happens give them another minute or two so the insides are well done.  Some of the dumplings may stick to the bottom, use a slotted spoon to detach them so they float to the top. 

When the dumplings are done, use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water to a separate bowl.  Coat with olive oil so they don't stick to each other.  Continue cooking the rest of the dumplings.

For the dish, mix some of the lentils in with the spaetzle and serve topped with tomato sauce and grated cheese. 

2 comments:

  1. I tried this but didn't care for it, so I gave it to my geese and they didn't like it either. Non of my livestock did, and a passing tramp got quite angry when I offered it to him instead of some change. I later realised that what I had made was actually different to the above recipe, but dare not try it again and the tramp made me very scared the first time, and one of my geese has subsequently died. I'm also slightly allergic to lentils.

    ReplyDelete