September 28, 2008

Black Bean Soup

I came up with this soup one day when I came home and my downstairs neighbor had made some whole wheat tortillas (from scratch). I checked what ingredients I had in the kitchen and it happened to turn out awesome. Again, I'm sorry - I don't measure anything so all the amounts I put for the spices are just my best guesses.


Ingredients:

2 T. butter
1 onion - diced
1 tomato - diced
1 bell pepper - diced
1 can black beans - OR you can soak dry black beans for a couple of days and use them
chicken broth
1 lime
1 avocado


1/2 - 1 T. whole cumin seed
1-2 T. chili powder
1/2 T. paprika
1/2 T. ground cumin
ground cayenne to taste - I'm a spice wimp so I probably used 1/2 tsp and my cayenne is old
salt to taste


Directions:

melt the butter, add onion, cumin seed, and salt. Saute for ~5-10 mins then add the tomato. Continue to saute for another 5 mins.


Add the rest of the spices and juice the lime into the pot. Add chopped bell pepper.

Add chicken broth until you get to the desired liquid:other goodies ratio that pleases you most, then simmer for about an hour.



Serve with tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream/plain yogurt - I had some today with overly salted guacamole (see the first post on this blog) and it was delicious!!


For any of you crazy cilantro lovers out there, go nuts!

I used a lot of broth and I think I'll get 3-4 servings out of this pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment