September 27, 2008

Egg Salad Sandwich

So Angelica was making fun of me for wanting to make a post about egg salad, but I make damn good egg salad, it's really easy and basic, and maybe someone out there doesn't know what they're doing and this is exactly what they need..

Egg Salad Ingredients:

4 XL eggs
onion - finely chopped/minced (I use red cause it's pretty - but it can change the color of the salad if it sits for a while
vegenaise - unfortunately real mayonnaise disgusts me and veganiase is delicious
salt and pepper to taste

Optional:

fresh parsley
paprika


Directions:

Hard boil the eggs (~8 mins after the water starts to boil) then let cool down under running water. While the eggs are cooling, mince the onion and add it to your bowl. After the eggs are cool enough I like to cut the eggs open and put the yolks in the bowl with the onion first - I swear this makes it taste better!

I mash up the yolks with the onion, then add the veganaise and salt and pepper


Then chop up the whites to about 1/4 - 1/2" cube size and mix in. Taste to make sure salt and pepper levels are good. If you're using the fresh parsley and paprika you may add them now.


If you're making a sandwich, I recommend some kind of rye or bread with caraway seed in it, and fresh tomato (salt and peppered) is a MUST!! Paprika can also be added before the tomato.


Recently, I've been using arugula instead of romaine lettuce and it's been wonderful. I like to have a lot of greens on my sandwiches to make sure they're not too dry and the added spark of arugula just put this sandwich over the top for me.. although I have to really smush it down to get it to fit in my mouth.

2 comments:

  1. You tell Angel I said that until she gets off her fine tookus and posts some of her excellent cuisine, then she can bite it!

    Thanks for the Egg Salad sammy! I like the greens. I have an enchalada al la Liz (Fluffy is her nick) de Audentico.

    ReplyDelete